Thursday, January 31, 2013

Unit 1: Chapter 14

Chapter 14:
Using the diagram on p. 505 of Ormrod's text, consider three different types of assessment that you could use in your classroom. Find examples of these assessments through a Google search, identify how you would use them, how they might need to be modified for your students, and what the assessments can tell you - or cannot - about student performance.

Assesssments:
1. Paper-pencil assessment would be a great way for me to get my students thinking about the art they are creating and why they are creating it. This form of assessment is something that students would do on their own, as a reflection of their artworks, but it could also be shared out loud with the class. Sometimes is is more beneficial for students to reflect through writing about their art, then it is for them to be able to share is out loud right off the bat. This way they can take the time to really think things through. I want them to learn how to write and proof read their writing so that when it comes time for some of them to have to write an artist statement, they are more familiar with what should be included and what is better left to the imagination. This assessment is going to be a great way for my students to kind of self assess their work progress over the course of the year. Hopefully it will help them to recognize where they began and where they are at the end of the year with how they view and react to their own works of art, and their classmates works.

2. Teacher-developed assessment is good to utilize in my classroom because as the teacher I want to create my own form of assessing the development, knowledge, and skills of my students. This can be a great way for me to specifcally create a method for grading the work my students produce. By developing my own teacher based assessments, especially with such a subjective content area, I have the ability to create rubrics that will properly inform my students of what is expected from each one of them on each project. It is so important for me to really think about what I am going to ask my students to do and then if they complete it, give them the proper grade. I need to set a rubric that is fair and equal to all students, and so that if one student is unable to create a piece of work that shows good quality, then at least their effort on the work should be accounted for.

3. Authentic assessment can lend itself to helping me assess the ability of my students to learn through real-world tasks. For art this could be done through having the students create art that relates to their everyday lives or to the everyday world. I create art that revolves around my life. I feel like being able to do that is my way of communicating who I am as a person, what I feel is important in this world, and the passions I have about my life. I want to help students understand the world and all the differences their are, through using art. The real-world is what they will face on a daily basis. Why not go ahead and help them with the processing of it. Art, again is so visual, and it can be a way for students to communicate sometimes that which is not easily verbalized.


Think of a lesson plan from your licensure area. Knowing that assessment is an integral part of teaching, explain at least four informal and formal assessments that you will use in your lesson plan to provide you with feedback and involve the students in assessing their own learning.
Licensure area: K-12, would like to work with 6-12
Lesson Plan Objectives: Students will design a stylized composition with simplified shapes representing an important incident, interaction, or event derived from their personal life or experience. Students will cut shapes from a variety of fabrics and secure on to 12"x12" material to construct a narrative quilt square exhibiting contrast or a silhouette effect.

Informal assessment:
1. Students will begin by thinking of a personal incident, interaction, or event from their life.
2. I will have each student come up with at least two themes for the quilt square so they have choices.
3. Students will decide on the fabrics they want to use to create their shapes or silhouettes.
4. I will ask each student to let me know when they have come up with their final draft of a design.
Formal Assessments:
1. Students will be expected to use at least four different shapes or silhouettes to describe their design.
2. I will ask each student to write a summary of the design they chose to represent on their quilt square.
3. Students will be graded on their creative choices in fabric material, color, and pattern.
4. I will have time set aside for students to present their quilt square to the class and explain.


Consider norm-referenced assessments and criterion-referenced assessments. Are their advantages or disadvantages for both?

Norm-referenced assessments reveal how well each student's performance compares with the performance of peers - perhaps classmates or perhaps age-mates across the nation. Criteria-referenced assessments are designed to tell us exactly what students have and have not accomplished relative to predetermined standards or criteria. With both of these assessments their are pros and cons. For norm-referenced it can be very beneficial for the teacher to know how students are comprehending your material compared to the ways in which other students are comprehending the same material. Whether this is the teachers responsibility or if this is just the difference in environment and student motivation, can make a big difference. On the other hand, I am not sure I agree with comparing one student's successes or failures to another. Again, environmental situations can play a huge role in how a students is able to learn and pick up on information. It can be a good thing to compare your student's knowledge and performance from one student to another if you are trying to figure out ways of helping those students who may not be getting the information like the rest of the students are. As for criteria-referenced, I like that they are able to tell a teacher exactly what the student knows and does not know, or what the student has or has not been able to accomplish or master. The thing I do not agree with here is that these assessments leave out room for subjective assessment. Art is so subjective and cannot be assessed on a criteria-referenced scale always. Art is best looked at from the stand point of individuality. Every student is going to be on a different page with art because they are all going to process what they know in different ways. It is the way that they view things. Art cannot be assessed with criteria-reference because their is not standardization about it.






2 comments:

  1. Rachel,

    I really enjoyed your first point concerning the paper-pencil assessment. When I took art in elementary, middle, and even high school, we never took the time to write and reflect on the art we had created and why we chose what we did. I think that writing is many times overlooked and ignored in the art classroom, but it is so vital for students to express themselves through written work and reflection. I think it is great that you would like to include that as a type of assessment; not only is the student able to express his emotions and ideas on canvas, but he or she is also doing so on paper, and that is a great blend of the two.
    Additionally, I also fully agree with your desire to incorporate authentic assessment into your classroom. It is so important for students to make real-world connections to the daily tasks they are performing at school, but often times it is forgotten. Art is a great avenue for students to explore their interests and understandings of the world and then put those into drawings, paintings, and sculptures. Art definitely made me truly consider what I was drawing and research it; for example, if I was doing a landscape, I needed to study the land before I jumped into drawing it, and I believe this opens up students to exploring the world and all its complexities and design through their artwork. I believe these are two great choices for assessment in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    I really like the idea of having students express their creativity through writing. Talking with you during class, I do thing we share the same teaching values. Even in art, I agree that what the students do is more than just writing. I think writing to express themselves will make them well-rounded. In my classroom, I will try this type of assessment. It is not as stressful on the students because they have a little bit of "leeway". Great ideas!

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete