Thursday, January 24, 2013

Unit 1: Chapter 13

1. Based on our readings and class discussion, how will you create a learning environment that is conducive to learning?
For my students, I would like to create a learning environment that is quiet, orderly, active, and at times noisy. I would like to create a place for my students to learn how to listen to others, stay organized with their materials, participate in class activities, and at times verbally discuss and present their works of art to the class, why they made the art they did, and what art means to them. All four of these types of classrooms are important for me in the environment I want to present to my class. By arranging my desks or tables in a collaborative and sharing manner, students will feel free to engage in the projects that I have set for them to complete. Working with their classmates will often times present better outcomes of works of art. Planning smooth transitions from one thing to the next will help students stay on task and focused. Having a back-up plan if students finish earlier with a project then expected. Allowing students to verbalize or write down a daily expression so they can get their creativity flowing.
I am a very strict rule follower so I appreciate and understand the need for rules. By presenting them in a non-controlling way, it will help students be productive and responsible, while being held accountable for themselves and their actions in my classroom. I want to make sure that my students feel like they can be expressive and not be judged based on how they see something. It may be different then another student, but that is what art is all about. We all see things differently and we must understand to appreciate that difference because how another sees something can open our eyes to seeing it that way too. An art classroom is all about letting your guard down and exposing yourself to new ideas so that you can learn to accept and appreciate the worlds' differences. If my students do not feel that they can do that then I need to work on the environment setting. As we discussed in class on Tuesday, teachers set the climate and the consistency we maintain is what keeps that climate steady and going. Art is such a subjective and expressive form of learning that I have to be on my game at all times to help my students cope and adapt to the new materials.

Students feel most comfortable in a calm, relaxed environment. It will be helpful for me to have images such as this on the walls of my classroom to not only promote creativity, but engage students in the art process the moment they enter my room.


2. Now consider your CSEL case study. Develop a full continuum of responses for dealing with misbehavior of your case.
With the case study involving middle school seventh grade students, Cherie acting out in front of the whole class is going to be very disruptive to your teaching, the class paying attention, and her own learning. With this case study it will be very important for me to make Cherie aware that I acknowledge her misbehavior and disruptions in the classroom. Often times teachers think it is easier if you ignore the students behavior because then it does not become important and the student will stop since they do not have your attention. The problem I have with that is that most students will not stop and if their is no consequence for what they are doing then they will not have a reason to stop misbehaving. As a teacher I want to make sure that I maintain a productive teacher-student relationship with Cherie. I have to show discipline in a non-threatening way so that she will be more attentive in listening to me. I then need to make sure to create an effective psychological climate by letting Cherie know that what she is doing to her classrooms is not very nice and that if someone was doing those things to her, how would she probably feel. Setting limits with my classroom will automatically tell Cherie what I expect from my students. My rules and procedures must be given in a non-controlling but informative manner that this is how things are going to go in my classroom. By reviewing my rules with Cherie, she will know that I do not tolerate misbehavior in my classroom that is so disruptive and harmful to other students. Most importantly I believe in communicating with each one of my students on a somewhat personal level. I would then pull Cherie aside after class to ask her why she is acting the way she is. More often than not a student's behavior in the classroom is a result from something external of that classroom setting. Again, it is my job as the teacher to set the climate. Cherie is testing the weather in my classroom this day but it cannot continue.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,

    I love how you posted an image about what you will put on your walls. I definitely think it is important for us to think about what will be most helpful and promote creativity with our students. Since you are doing art education, I think you chose a great one. In my social studies classroom, I may try to use colorful maps, important people in history, etc. to promote learning. You are very artsy, so if you have any suggestions for a middle grade social studies classroom, I would greatly appreciate your ideas!
    Also, I have the same case study. I agree with what you said about ignoring bad behavior. Some may think that it is better to ignore it and hope it doesn't happen again. Like you, I believe it is important to confront the behavior and lay out your consequences. But, there are certain situations that may call for ignoring the behavior (if it is minor).

    ReplyDelete