Thursday, January 17, 2013

Unit 1: Chapter 11

"Questions to Consider"
 Chapter 11: Consider the theories of motivation we discussed in class. Which theories of motivation are most helpful and instructive for you? How can they enhance motivation and affect your students?

Trait theories will be helpful and instructive for me to better understand my students and their needs in my classroom. With art, it will be important to get to know my student's characteristics and personality traits because when trying to motivate them in creating works of art, if they do not seem to favor a technique or an art style, then they will not be as enthusiastic about using it. I do not want them to feel that they need to avoid their art experience because of the situation they are in. I want them to feel comfortable to freely express themselves in they way that they will best work. 

Another would be social cognitive theories because students will develop over time a motivation towards things that they feel give them the best consequences in return. In my classroom, if I can show one student that their work and behavior towards that work is a good experience for them, then other students will follow that behavior to motivation of receiving the same acknowledgment. With art it is all about expression and doing something that is the way only that student would do it. If students can become comfortable with how they choose to create art then they will become comfortable with talking about it to their peers and receiving helpful criticism for improving on their skills.
 Cognitive theories affect learners' perceptions of themselves and of the topics they are learning in the environment they are learning them in. This is a great theory for an art classroom as it is imperative for my students to trust in their abilities and be confident in the art work they create. When students perceive that they are doing a project well, then their motivation will increase to continue and they will be able to to further expand their abilities with various mediums. By allowing my students to have a control and choice in their project, I am giving them the ability to to self-determine the outcome of their art work. Thus students will grain more and learn more from their own motivation sand their peers so they can best be able to measure their own successes and failures in their works.

These theories can aid me in understanding and facilitating a helpful environment where my students feel comfortable to come to me with help on their projects, can go to their peers for help on projects, and can be confident in themselves to be able to trust in the work they are creating. Art is a beautiful thing where people find a place to freely open up and express their true nature, what they care most about in this world, or raise concern about issues they face. While all of this is made possible as a universal language that everyone can come together and connect about, it is a very strange thing for others. I want my students to understand art and just another tool for learning to appreciate the world and understand it. If students are not motivate and uncomfortable with the content of my class then nothing will get done and I will not get to see them let loose and have fun. By understanding these theories and applying them to my students and their work, I can help guide them in finding what will help them achieve most. 

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,

    It was interesting to see how you would incorporate these theories in an art classroom. Since we are all going to teach different subjects, it will be interesting how these theories develop and change in different classroom settings. I really like that you said students can follow other students behaviors. I agree with this 100%. If one student receives praise for their work, attitude, etc., I would hope that other students would notice and be motivated enough to better themselves in their academic careers. This was a very insightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts! I thought using social cognitive theory in my own classroom would be really useful too. You raise a good point. If you are able to articulate an assignment in a way that is enjoyable for one student and that leads to a positive outcome, then maybe it will catch fire for others and they will be able to find motivation through that means. I also like that you brought up confidence. Confidence is a motivation booster, and if it is lacking, students may fall to complacency or not try hard to discover and use their individualist creativity unique in art students. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and strategies.

    ReplyDelete