Thursday, March 14, 2013

Unit 2: Chapter 10


Which of the learning activities/skills can you think of that lend themselves to learning through modeling? How might self-efficacy and self-regulation contribute to the intervention plans you use in your case study?

Academic skills and interpersonal behaviors appear to be helpful when learning through modeling for students who need structure. Academic skills refers to students learning by observing their teachers and peers around them and see how they are doing things in comparison (p. 330). If I am teaching a lesson on how to paint and I want students to learn how to hold their brush correctly and keep their strokes even and going in the same direction, then I should model this to my students so they understand what I am looking for. After showing them how to hold and use a paint brush, students will look to their peers to see if they are doing it right as well. Interpersonal behaviors refers to observing and imitating others (p. 331). This can be very effective if I set up the right environment in which my students can adopt and learn one another's strategies for conducting something such as discussions (p. 331). Discussions in the art room are crucial to participating in verbalizing what it is you are trying to express as an artist. Students can learn how to solicit one another's opinions by asking each other what they think, they can express agreement or disagreement in a constructive manner, and they learn how to justify a point of view that they believe in. These learning activities/skills can be very beneficial for helping student learn through the modeling of me as their teacher, their peers, and others in their learning community. It will help them to be aware and critical of themselves and others if they know how to use these skills correctly.

As for the middle school case study. My attempts with Cherie and modeling would have to begin with her peers, my other students who seem to follow their leader. If I can model to those who engage less and less with learning and more with Cherie, then I have a shot at getting through to Cherie as well. If she sees her peers no longer interested in her misbehavior and disruptions and more focused on paying attention, doing what I ask/when I ask, and modeling good practices on their own Cherie might being to model this herself. As her teacher I should address her misbehaving during a private conversation with her instead of in front of the class, but I should be careful not to let the bad behavior or disruption go without warning. I should model being polite, courteous, and sensitive to others around me. If I treat Cherie and my class in this manner, hopefully they will see though modeling that it is a good way to act and something they should try to do too.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,

    You have some great modeling ideas to incorporate into your art classroom. I think art is one of those subjects that requires much modeling and demonstration by the teacher because it is new to so many students. I also love your thoughts on learning from other peers. Learning and discussing with other peers is a great way to collaborate and build a community of learners. Students can even model to one another and this often stimulates further learning. These are great concepts for your classroom.

    ReplyDelete